A treat for your sweet
By Marianne Wren
This dessert combines Vitamin C-rich raspberries with everyone’s favourite treat, dark chocolate. Both raspberries and dark chocolate contain a healthy dose of antioxidants that boost collagen production and promote healthy, radiant skin. Studies have shown that dark chocolate helps to reduce your stress levels helping to reduce wrinkles while relaxing you, so that you are ready for romance. Swoon!
Chocolate Studded Meringues with Raspberry Coulis
Makes 12 servings / Ready in about an hour / Hands on time: 15 minutes / Baking time: 40 minutes
4 egg large egg whites
½ tsp (2.5ml) cream of tartar
¼ tsp (1 ml) salt
½ cup (125 ml) plus 2 tbsp (30ml) granulated sugar
2 ounces (56 g) dark chocolate 70-85% cocoa, finely chopped
2 cups (500 ml) fresh or frozen raspberries
1. Preheat oven to 275F (135C). Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and spray lightly with non- stick cooking spray.
2. In the metal bowl of a stand mixer combine egg whites, cream of tartar and salt. Beat on medium speed using the whisk attachment until foamy, about 2-3 minutes. Turn the mixer on high speed and slowly add ½ cup granulated sugar, one tablespoon at a time. Continue beating until egg whites are thick and glossy, 7-10 minutes. Add chopped chocolate and beat 30 seconds longer.
3. Place egg whites in a piping bag fitted with a ½ inch (1.27) plain piping tip. Pipe 20 hearts, about 2 inches high onto each cookie sheet. (Alternatively, drop egg whites by rounded teaspoonful onto baking sheets). Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until you can easily lift the meringues with a thin spatula. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely on the cookie sheets.
4. Raspberry Coulis: place the raspberries, ¼ cup (60ml) water and the remaining 2 tbsp (30ml) of sugar in a medium saucepan, stirring to combine. Set the saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until berries have completely broken down, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and blend with an immersion blender until completely smooth. Cool to room temperature.
5. To serve, divide sauce evenly between 12 plates, spreading to cover the surface. Place 3 meringues on each plate. Store the remaining meringues in an air tight container.
Nutrients per serving: Who cares? It’s Valentine’s Day! Just drink this tomorrow.
Meringues will keep for several days in an air tight container on your counter.
About the Author Marianne Wren is a Toronto-based food stylist and recipe developer. Her culinary creations have appeared in cook books, magazines, print ads, national brand packaging, commercials and films. For more, visit her website.